Monday, February 27, 2012

R.I.P My Beautiful Nan

R.I.P my Beautiful Nan


Well today I type trying to see through the tears of my sadness at the passing of my Beautiful Nan!!! She passed away on Wednesday afternoon surrounded by her loved one's in her home (the only one that I have ever known). I'm still not sure what I want to write but thought I'd just type what popped into my head!! I don't really have any childhood memories with Nan that I can remember but I'll share with you what I can!!! Nan had 8 children and I remember there being a boys room and girls room in the house!! The rooms were not huge but in the girls room there was two bunk beds and I think when we stayed there we slept on the fold up beds at the end of the bunks!! As I remember it was a bit of a squeeze but that may not have been the case!! Also in the girls room I remember there being all the board games up above the wardrobes and I had a look in that room just the other day and all those games are still up there!! :) Another thing I remember was locking myself in the toilet (that is outside). I don't remember who or how I got out or if I just ended up opening the door myself but I do know that now when I use that toilet I do not lock the door!! LOL!!  Nan lives on a fair bit of land and I remember some of the animals she has had over the years - a sheep called BINGO, dogs, birds (of all sorts), turtles, cats, quails, chickens and ducks which she still has!! She has fruit trees all over the place and a wood pile that to me never went down!!! But Nan was always out chopping the wood right up until a few months ago when her health started to deteriorate!! Nan has always been a very independent woman as her husband (my Pa) died about 24 years ago (that may be wrong) She has always put others first and has always been very protective of her kids and grandkids!!! She never complained right throught her cancer treatments, always saying how good she was feeling and she did look fantastic. I was amazed each time I saw her, how well she looked. She didn't even complain towards the end when she was in pain, when she couldn't eat!!! We constantly asked her if she was ok, to tell us what she was thinking, if there was anything we could get and she constantly said no, she was fine... Even when my Auntie and I tried to sit her up a bit higher the other day we asked Nan if that felt better even though we knew we had only moved her a centimetre and she said yes she was fine until my Uncle walked in and he sat her up and she said AAAHHH that's better!!! We had a good laugh!!!
One of my fondest memories of Nan is her yummy cooking. She still has a wood fire oven and cook top and my two most favourite foods over the years were her roast potatoes and her Yummy apple pie!! I have her apple pie recipe but I've never ever been able to make it like Nan and I reckon it was all down to the oven and Nan's magic touch!!! If we had a family get together Nan would always make a couple of apple pies, it would be placed in front of me cos I always got to serve mine first and if there was any pie left then i would get offered it first!! And every now and then Nan would make an extra pie especially for me!!
Since Nan had been diagnosed with Breast cancer I made an extra effort to see her everytime I was in Geelong. I love calling in to see her and the boys loved seeing her and Uncle Antny too. Sometimes they were quick visits and other times we were there for a couple of hours even though the noise sometimes got to Nan (but of course just said "let them go - they're alright") I loved spending that time with Nan. I also loved the family get togethers nan organised twice a year just before Christmas and her birthday. It was nice catching up with the family some of who we don't get to see very often and just seeing Nan sitting back and taking it all in. I am going to keep these family get togethers going as I know Nan would love that. Family are very important to me as they were with Nan!!

My brother posted this poem on facebook the day nan passed away (which he found on the internet) but it was perfect for this solemn  occasion.


*God saw you getting tired
and a cure was not to be
so he put his arms around you
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

With tearful eyes we watched you
and saw you pass away
and although we love you dearly
we could not make you stay.

A Golden heart stopped beating
hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove us
he only takes the best*

Nan I am going to miss you so much as will the boys!!! May you now rest and be with your parents, Pa and your two beautiful children Maureen and Jenny!!! I LOVE YOU NAN with all my heart!!!!!! xxxxxxx


15 comments:

  1. Leath what a beautiful tribute to your nan. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time all our love xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so sorry for your loss. You and your loved ones will be in my prayers! Hugs! Leah Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous tribute to your Nan Alethea and the poem is really beautiful. Sending you lots of virtual hugs.

    Linda xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss sweetie cancer is awful but the one thing it cant take is their spirit hun. My thoughts are with you & your family.
    I love the poem my dad has it up beside his grave .

    Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Beautiful poem.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really sorry to hear this sad news... you are yours are in my thoughts and prayers...just remember and I know it is hard to hear - but she is in a better place with no sickness or pain.. hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Alethea, our grandparents are so precious. Thinking of you at this sad time, hold onto the lovely memories sweetpea xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetie, my deepest of sympathies are with you and your loved ones....I know you are so saddened by the events and I wish I knew words that would console you!!! Sending a big hug your way in hopes that you can remember the wonderful times with your Nan and know that she will no longer be suffering...Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh hunny, i just popped by to say thanks for entering my birthday candy, how awful to see u lost your dear sweet nan, i dont have a nan and never have as both my sets of granparents had died by the time i was born, but i looked after a wonderful lady named Winnie, shes 97 and up until recently stayed in her own home after 4 strokes and countless falls, she was very independant, but finally her loving Grandson one of my dearest friends put his foot down and told her she would be safer in a home, non of us wanted her to go, and i even slept at her house at night to give her what she wanted but in the end it was safer for her to have constant attention. i dearly miss her and get updates regulary and visit when i can, i see her deteriorating and it breaks my heart, But at 97 she most definitly has lived life to the full,lol.
    Take care hunny,
    Kenzi xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. my deepest sympathy on the loss of your wonderful Nan
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear this deepest sympathy to you and your family...
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, now you have made me cry. I lost my Nan last year and I still miss her dreadfully. The poem your brother wrote is absolutely beautiful. May your Nan always be with you, watching over you and in your heart.
    Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear your awfully sad news. I know you will have treasured memories and photos as well as all those yummy recipes!! Big hug to you and the boys as well as the rest of your family xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!! It's made my day!!